Pairing a hyperactive child with a quiet, slow form of exercise, may sound counterintuitive and even disastrous, but it turns out yoga can be incredibly helpful for children with challenging behaviours or special needs. Mindfulness is also good for children as it can help them improve their ability to pay attention, to calm down when they are upset, and to make meaningful decisions.
Yoga, meditation and mindfulness help children:
- Learn how to use their bodies in a healthy way
- Manage stress through breathing, awareness, meditation and healthy movement
- Develop focus and concentration
- Boost memory
- Increase self-awareness and self-regulation
- Feel part of a healthy, non-competitive group
- Boost self-esteem and confidence
- Improve overall mental health
- Reduce anxiety and challenging behaviours
Related Websites & articles:
There are a variety of guided meditation and yoga videos available online for children, here is an example.
Training and Resource Coordinator, CISS